The Guest Services Associate will often be the first point of contact for visitors to Washington National Cathedral. They will provide hospitality at the Cathedral’s main entry points, primarily during sightseeing hours as well as during other events and worship services as needed. The Associate will sell sightseeing admission, check print-at-home tickets, and monitor doors at other events.
Among the duties assigned to the position are the following:
Individual/Small Group Sightseeing
Process transactions at the welcome desk, including sightseeing admission, donations, National Cathedral Association memberships and special event ticket purchases.
- Sell tickets and scan print-at-home tickets for Cathedral admission and specialty tours.
- Ensure completion and accuracy of all register transactions, including register tills at the end of shift.
- Answer basic visitor questions and assist with wayfinding.
- Issue audio tours and printed materials as needed.
- Provide occasional support for greeting bus groups and providing direction to group leader/chaperones.
Perform tasks as needed supporting front-of-house operations for programs held in lieu of sightseeing hours.
- Welcome and direct event-goers, worshipers and meeting attendees.
- Monitor doors and scan tickets as guests enter the Cathedral.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (education, certification, years’ experience):
- At least one year of customer service experience.
- High School diploma or GED.
- PECF requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including any boosters recommended and available to the general public, in the absence of eligibility for medical or religious exemptions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (ex: best practices, teambuilding, detail oriented, physical demands, work environment):
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills with a helpful, friendly attitude; team-oriented disposition with strong customer service skills.
- Ability to react to change quickly and positively.
- Sensitivity to the needs of a diverse public, including the ability to interact with those in need of pastoral care.
- Basic computer skills required.
- Ability to handle cash and provide change.
- Ability to multi-task during periods of high volume.
- Ability to operate radio/walkie-talkie communications.
- Experience in events or hospitality industry is a plus.
- Proficiency in other languages is a plus.
Working Conditions (Physical Demands, Work Environment, Schedule):
While performing the duties of this job, the Guest Services Associate is frequently required to stand, walk, and use hands to type and handle objects. The employee is occasionally required to reach, climb, balance, and stoop. Specific working condition requirements include:
- Must be able to work on feet for extended periods of time, to frequently ascend and descend stairs, and walk throughout the entry spaces.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including weekends and occasional evenings.
- Must be able to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Must be comfortable working in a multi-function venue, as the Cathedral is an active house of worship & cultural heritage site.
Washington National Cathedral is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create a more diverse and inclusive atmosphere for all. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
We support an inclusive workplace where associates excel based on personal merit, qualifications, experience, ability, and job performance.
Washington National Cathedral seeks individuals who are committed to our mission. We appreciate interest from those who will contribute to an atmosphere in which diversity is valued and supported.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume, and please note job code C22-09, to [email protected]; or mail to Washington National Cathedral, Human Resources Dept., 3101 Wisconsin Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20016-5098.