Baptisms, Weddings & Funerals
The Cathedral is here for you at important moments of your life – particularly welcoming a new child of God in baptism, committing to your partner in Holy Matrimony or mourning a loved one who has entered into eternal rest. We hope this guide will help you plan ways to mark these important milestones, and we look forward to talking about ways the Cathedral can walk with you.
→ Members of the Cathedral Congregation:
- We believe baptism is an act of community, and the baptismal candidates and/or their families are encouraged to become part of this community prior to seeking baptism with us.
- All those seeking baptism for themselves or their child must first meet with a member of the Cathedral clergy to discuss their desire for baptism.
- Members of the Congregation are expected to support this worshipping community, including contributing to the Annual Congregation Stewardship Campaign.
- We believe baptism is the rite of initiation into the Body of Christ. Families who are not interested in ongoing, active participation in the Cathedral Congregation are urged to seek out their local parish.
→ Alumni/alumnae of St. Albans School or National Cathedral School
The Cathedral administers the Sacrament of Holy Baptism on the days recommended in the Book of Common Prayer: All Saints’ Day in the fall; the Feast of the Baptism of our Lord in January; at the Great Vigil of Easter in the spring; and the Day of Pentecost in the early summer. In addition to these dates, baptism is also offered on the Last Sunday after the Epiphany and the second Sunday in July.
Weddings at the Cathedral
- Episcopal clergy licensed in DC, or
- Clergy of denominations that are members of the National Council of Churches of Christ in America must co-officiate with licensed Episcopal clergy person
- Marriage and wedding must conform to laws of District of Columbia
- Wedding must be scheduled and non-refundable 50% deposit received 6 months in advance, balance due 90 days prior to wedding date
- Interfaith weddings are approved on a case-by-case basis
Cathedral weddings are scheduled for select Saturdays at 4 pm or 6 pm and are subject to availability. To begin the request process, please complete the inquiry form.