A Grand Instrument
The great organ of Washington National Cathedral was built by the Ernest M. Skinner & Son Organ Company and installed in 1938.
The great organ consists of 10,647 pipes.
Join us for recitals on the Cathedral’s great organ featuring organists from around the world. Recitals take place on Sunday afternoons. Please refer to the Cathedral Calendar for specific times. There is a suggested donation of $10 per person. No reservations are required, with the exception of groups.
2017 Fall Organ Recital Series
- September 24: George Fergus, Washington National Cathedral
- October 1: Benjamin Straley, Washington National Cathedral
- October 22: Jacob Reed of New Haven, Conn.
- November 5: Jeremy Filsell, Washington National Cathedral
- November 19: Kipp Cortez of Athens, W.Va.
- November 26: Matthew Michael Brown of Salisbury, N.C.
- Christmas Day: George Fergus and Benjamin Straley, Washington National Cathedral
2018 Organ Recital Series
- February 11: George Fergus, Washington National Cathedral
- February 18: Ryan Hebert of Tampa, Fla.
- March 11: Anthony Williams of Nashville, Tenn.
- March 18: Jeremy Filsell, Washington National Cathedral
- April 1: Easter Day Organ Recital
- April 8: James Kealey of Sheffield Cathedral, U.K.
- April 15: Axel Flierl of St. Peter’s Basilica, Dillingen an der Donau, Germany
- April 22: Jamila Javadova-Spitzberg of Arlington, Tex.
- April 29: Joseph Ripka of Stonington, Conn.
- May 6: Aaron Goen & James Hillis of Washington, D.C.
- May 13: Jeremy Filsell, Washington National Cathedral
- May 27: Mark Thewes and Chad Pittman from Massillon, Ohio
- June 3: Chuck Seipp and Randall Sheets – Trumpet and Organ Duo from Washington, DC
- June 10: Robert Knupp of Clinton, Miss.
- June 17: Michal Markuszewski of Warsaw, Poland
- June 24: Tyler Boehmer of Lawrence, Kans.
- July 4: Annual Independence Day Concert
The great organ has been revised and enlarged over the years to accommodate the changing needs of the Cathedral: view the great organ’s specifications (PDF).
Now Accepting 2018-2019 Series Applications
Organists who are interested in appearing on our series are encouraged to apply. Please send the following materials either electronically or through postal mail:
- an unedited recording of a public organ recital performed in the last two years
- a printed program from the recorded recital
- a current biography
If sending electronically, submit the complete materials to firstname.lastname@example.org (The Rev. Benjamin Straley, Associate Director of Music and Cathedral Organist).
If sending through postal mail, please mail to:
Washington National Cathedral
Wisconsin and Massachusetts Avenues, NW
Washington, DC 20016
For any additional questions, please contact:
(202) 537-5553 or email@example.com.