A Grand Instrument
The great organ of Washington National Cathedral was built by the Ernest M. Skinner & Son Organ Company and installed in 1938.
The great organ consists of 10,647 pipes.
Join us for recitals on the Cathedral’s great organ featuring organists from around the world. Recitals take place on Sunday afternoons. Please refer to the Cathedral Calendar for specific times. There is a suggested donation of $10 per person. No reservations are required, with the exception of groups.
2019-2020 Organ Recitals
- September 8: George Fergus, Washington National Cathedral
- September 29: Tom Sheehan, Washington National Cathedral
- October 6: Collin Boothby, Houston, TX
- October 13: Students of St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN
- October 27: Ray and Beth Chenault, Atlanta, GA
- November 17: Jillian Gardner, Waco, TX
- November 24: Angela Kraft Cross, San Mateo, CA
- Christmas Day: Tom Sheehan and George Fergus
- February 2: David Brock, Los Angeles, CA
- February 16: George Fergus, Washington National Cathedral
- February 23: Tom Sheehan, Washington National Cathedral
- March 1: Joy-Leilani Garbutt, Washington, DC
- March 8: Tate Addis, Asheville, NC
- March 15: Jochanan van Driel, Leiden, Netherlands
- April 12: Easter Day, Tom Sheehan and George Fergus
- April 19: David Hirst, Mantes-la-Jolie, France
- April 26: Colin Andrews, Indianapolis, IN
- May 3: Chelsea Vaught, Fort Wayne, IN
- May 24: Anna Judkins, Great Falls, MT
- May 31: Erik and Chuyoung Suter, Gaithersburg, MD
- June 7: Karl Robson, Chevy Chase, MD
- June 14: Bradley Burgess, Raleigh, NC
- June 21: Bob Knupp, Clinton, MS
- June 28: Carson Cooman, Harvard, MA
- July 4: Annual Independence Day Concert
The great organ has been revised and enlarged over the years to accommodate the changing needs of the Cathedral: view the great organ’s specifications (PDF).
Organists who are interested in appearing on our series are encouraged to apply. Please send the following materials either electronically or through postal mail:
- an unedited recording of a public organ recital performed in the last two years
- a printed program from the recorded recital
- a current biography
Apply beginning January 1, 2019
If sending electronically, submit the complete materials to email@example.com (George Fergus, Cathedral Assistant Organist).
If sending through postal mail, please mail to:
Washington National Cathedral
Wisconsin and Massachusetts Avenues, NW
Washington, DC 20016
For any additional questions, please contact:
(202) 537-5553 or firstname.lastname@example.org.