The Cathedral treasures the multitude of volunteers who help make its services, programs, special events, tours and day-to-day operations possible.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Cathedral. We treasure the multitude of volunteers who help make its services, programs, special events, tours and day-to-day operations possible.
Please read the items below and then submit a volunteer application. Should you have questions, please contact us.
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age.
- Volunteers serve in a range of areas and positions that require different skill sets and time commitments.
- These positions are not ideal for completing community service hours or for short-term volunteer service.
- Mandatory training is provided for all positions prior to starting.
- 10% discount on Cathedral Store purchases
- Free parking (when available on volunteer day)
- Preferred seating and passes for Christmas and Easter Services
- Monthly Cathedral e-newsletter
- Recognition at the annual Volunteer Appreciation Choral Evensong (with Reception)
- Invitations to social events
- Access to the Washington National Cathedral Archives (by appointment)
- Complimentary subscription to Cathedral Age magazine
- Free sightseeing admission (for yourself and up to 3 guests) during sightseeing hours
Public-facing volunteers interact directly with visitors and worshippers. Available positions:
Share the Cathedral with visitors from around the world. Present interpretive tours and answer questions about the art, architecture, mission, and history.
- Cathedral Welcomers
Primarily stationed in the lower level of the Cathedral (crypt level) to assist with wayfinding and provide additional information to visitors about the Cathedral’s art, architecture, mission, and history.
- Special Events Ushers
The Cathedral offers dozens of events each year including concerts, educational programs, lectures, and special worship services. Special Events Ushers welcome, direct, and seat guests, distribute tickets at Will Call, scan tickets upon entry, assist guests with accessibility needs, and take up the collection when applicable.
- Sunday Ushers
The Cathedral opens its doors every Sunday for weekly worship services, including an 11:15 am Holy Eucharist and 4 pm Choral Evensong. Sunday Ushers greet worshipers, distribute leaflets, take up the collection, and form communion lines when applicable. They seek to create a comfortable and welcoming environment that helps worshipers feel a sense of belonging within the Cathedral community.
- Center for Prayer & Pilgrimage
Staff this quiet, meditative space in the Cathedral and welcome visitors coming for prayer and reflection. Volunteers are also needed to help with programs and special events such Zoom programs, pilgrimages, and in-person retreats.
- LEGO® Cathedral
This 1:40 scale replica of the Cathedral is being constructed by visitors who make donations toward earthquake repairs. When completed, this model will be the world’s largest cathedral built from LEGO® bricks! Volunteers will facilitate the building process by showing visitors where to place their bricks. Volunteers will also help set-up/clean-up the building space each day, track the number of bricks sold, and monitor the building process. When not directly helping with LEGO construction, volunteers will talk with visitors to explain the project and answer general questions.
Currently seeking volunteers with availability on Mondays-Saturdays during Cathedral sightseeing hours (10am-5pm). Looking especially for Friday and Saturday availability.
Behind-the-scenes volunteers do not interact directly with visitors and worshippers. Available positions:
- Altar Guild (Linen & Silver)
Help clean and polish silver and brass. Meets regularly on weekends.
- Altar Guild (Liturgical Fabrics)
Preserve fine altar cloths and garments with help of expert craftspersons.
Conduct historical research on the Cathedral and sort, inventory, and file records. An interest in U.S. and/or Episcopal history a plus.
- Bell Ringer
Ring the ten English peal bells in the central tower on Sundays and for special occasions.
Members of the Cathedral Congregation also volunteer in various ways. Email to learn more.
Thank you for your interest. Please complete the Volunteer Application and a staff member will be in touch.
Current volunteers may access the volunteer portal with their login information.