Champion, the "opera in jazz" exploring the life of closeted gay boxer Emile Griffith, opens at the Kennedy Center in March. On February 27 at the Cathedral, performers and panelists moderated by the Rev. Dr. Kelly Brown Douglas will explore this story. Featuring selections from the opera and discussion prompted by the life of Emile Griffith and the experiences of LGBTQ athletes today.
Panelists and performers include:
- Aubrey Allicock, Young Emile in "Champion"
- Terence Blanchard, composer of "Champion"
- Denyce Graves, Emelda Griffith (Emile’s mother) in "Champion"
- James Robinson, director of "Champion"
- Hudson Taylor, founder and executive director of Athlete Ally
- Free Registration
- VIEW AVAILABILITY
- February 27, 2017 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm