The Cathedral Archives Collection is open to researchers as well as the general public.
The collection includes:
- historical records of the building of the Cathedral and the establishment of the Cathedral Foundation
- service registers and leaflets
- news clippings from 1894 to the present
- records of iconography and furnishings
- architectural and construction records
- a complete collection of the quarterly magazine Cathedral Age, beginning in 1925
- information about Cathedral artists
- photographs of national events occurring at the Cathedral
- multimedia materials (DVDs, CDs, videos)
The Archives collection does NOT include
- historical materials of the national Episcopal Church
- personal data records of church members
- genealogical information
Hours of Operation
The Archives is open to the public Monday through Friday, 10 am until 2 pm, and other times by appointment. Please note that the Archives is currently closed to researchers until later this year.
Please note that as an institutional archive we generally do not accept material donations from the public. Donated materials must be from an individual or group that has a relationship with the Cathedral (departments, employees); must be explicitly related to the Cathedral’s history; and must be surveyed and approved by the Head Archivist.
We do not accept photographs, genealogical records, items sold at the gift shop or any materials not directly related to the Washington National Cathedral.
The Cathedral Archives welcomes questions by email or mail. We try to respond to all inquiries within three weeks. Applications for an appointment to do extensive research must be made at least two weeks in advance.
Washington National Cathedral Archives
3101 Wisconsin Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20016-5098