Professional musicians sing alto/countertenor, tenor and bass in the Boys Cathedral Choir and Girls Cathedral Choir, with the choristers from St. Alban’s School and National Cathedral School. When the choristers are on academic break, the Cathedral Singers is comprised of sixteen professional singers.
The Cathedral maintains a regular roster of professional singers as well as an extensive roster of substitutes. Singers are paid $115 per call; each call lasts a maximum of three hours, which includes both rehearsal and performance. Professional singers are not called for a regular weekly rehearsal; rather, music is rehearsed immediately prior to each service. Strong sight-reading skills are a requirement.
Schedule & Auditions
The twelve regular singers (ATB) sing each week at the following services:
- Wednesday: 5:30 pm Choral Evensong (4:45 pm call)
- Thursday: 5:30 pm Choral Evensong (4:45 pm call)
- Sunday: 11:15 am Holy Eucharist (10 am call) and 4 pm Choral Evensong (2:45 pm call)
Professional singers are also called for special services and concerts throughout the year.
Interested singers should send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A professional resume
- Sound file singing an aria from Handel’s Messiah
- A second sound file with a contrasting piece of music