Professional Singers Application Update
We are now accepting application information for interested Staff Singers and Substitutions. Please submit a Resume along with two audio/video recordings of contrasting style that best show off your voice to [email protected].
After reviewing Application materials, we will be reaching out to schedule an in-person audition between Monday, June 21 and Friday, July 9, 2021.
Please see information below for more details regarding Staff Singer and Substitute Positions.
Professional musicians sing alto/countertenor, tenor and bass in the Boys Cathedral Choir and Girls Cathedral Choir, with the choristers from St. Alban’s School and National Cathedral School. When the choristers are on academic break, the Cathedral Singers is comprised of sixteen professional singers.
The Cathedral maintains a regular roster of professional singers as well as an extensive roster of substitutes. Singers are paid $120 per call; each call lasts a maximum of three hours, which includes both rehearsal and performance. Professional singers are not called for a regular weekly rehearsal; rather, music is rehearsed immediately prior to each service. Strong sight-reading skills are a requirement.
The nine regular singers (ATB) sing each week at the following services:
- Monday—Thursday: 5:30 pm Choral Evensong (4:45 pm call)
- Sunday: 11:15 am Holy Eucharist (10 am call) and 4 pm Choral Evensong (2:45 pm call)
Professional singers are also called for special services and concerts throughout the year.
- Substitutes are called when regular members of the choir are absent, and if there are services/projects when more than 9 singers are required.
- In addition to a high level of vocal proficiency, applicants need to be excellent sight readers and adept at singing across a number of musical styles.
- Calls are paid at $120 per 3 hours.