Letter from Bishop Mariann Edgar Budde and Chapter Chair David J. Kautter on Dean Hall’s Retirement
Dear members of the Cathedral family,
With both sadness and gratitude, we have received the Very Rev. Gary Hall’s notice that he will be retiring as Dean of Washington National Cathedral at the end of this year: sadness because Gary is a principled and creative colleague; gratitude because he has accomplished much in his three years as dean.
One of the hallmarks of a leader is the wisdom to discern when to lead and, just as importantly, when to allow the mantle of leadership to be taken up by someone else. Gary is such a leader, and we are thankful for his attentiveness to God’s call.
While Gary’s tenure was short, his accomplishments are many. Among them:
- Reinvigorating the cathedral’s programmatic life in the arts, its veterans initiative and the Cathedral Center for Prayer and Pilgrimage.
- Opening the cathedral’s doors to important civic conversations.
- Embracing a prophetic call to challenge the church and society on issues such as gun violence, marriage equality and racial justice.
- Expanding our mission to serve a house of prayer for all people, including our Muslim and transgender neighbors.
- Recruiting a talented and dedicated staff that devotes untold time and talent to advancing the cathedral’s mission.
- Completing the first phase of earthquake repairs.
- Setting clear priorities and direction and making the hard choices that have put the cathedral on a path of financial sustainability.
- Strengthening ties and promoting a spirit of cooperation and common mission among the various institutions on the Cathedral Close.
We’re happy to tell you that Gary will still be a part of the cathedral’s life in his retirement. Next spring, he’ll be leading the Center for Prayer and Pilgrimage trip to the Island of Iona. He will return periodically to preach and teach, and he will maintain his relationships with all who have so valued his leadership.
We hope to start the search for the next cathedral dean within 30 days. In the interim, a management team appointed by the bishop and chapter will work alongside Gary though the end of the year to ensure a smooth transition. We welcome your input and insights into the leadership qualities we will need in the 11th Dean of Washington National Cathedral.
The Right Rev. Mariann Edgar Budde
Bishop of Washington
David J. Kautter
Chair, Cathedral Chapter