The Archives of Washington National Cathedral preserves documents of historical importance to the Cathedral, the city of Washington and the nation.
For the foreseeable future, the Archives will be closed to researchers and the general public during a transition period following the retirement of the current archivist. Emergency requests should be sent to [email protected].
The Archives is open to researchers, as well as the general public.
The collection includes:
- historical records of the building of the Cathedral and the establishment of the Cathedral Foundation
- service registers and leaflets
- news clippings from 1894 to the present
- records of iconography and furnishings
- architectural and construction records
- a complete collection of the quarterly magazine Cathedral Age, beginning in 1925
- information about Cathedral artists
- photographs of national events occurring at the Cathedral
- multimedia materials (DVDs, CDs, videos)
- The Archives collection does not include historical materials of the national Episcopal Church, personal data records of church members, nor genealogical information.
Queries by mail
The Cathedral Archives welcomes questions by telephone, email or mail. We try to respond to all inquiries within three weeks.
Applications for an appointment to do extensive research must be made at least two weeks in advance.
Hours of Operation
The Archives is open to the public Monday through Friday, 10 am until 2 pm, and other times by appointment. Please note that the Archives is currently closed to researchers until later this year.
Contact the Archives
Washington National Cathedral Archives
Massachusetts & Wisconsin Avenues, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20016-5098
E-mail: [email protected]