Raccoons, rattlesnakes, ghouls and ... what is that thing, anyway? Explore the 200+ whimsical and fearsome gargoyles and grotesques that adorn the exterior of Washington National Cathedral. The tour starts with a visual overview of the history and function of these carved wonders, followed by a walking highlights tour on the ground level. Bring your binoculars and imagination!
There are 112 Gargoyles on the exterior of the Washington National Cathedral and 10 times as many of their smaller cousins, the Grotesques. Learn the difference between them and learn their individual stories on a Gargoyle Tour. First we bring the Gargoyles to you through a slide show in Perry Auditorium which helps you to recognize their features from close-up pictures. Then we take you to the Gargoyles, venturing outside the Cathedral at ground level with binoculars (yours or ours) to locate and identify some of our most charming, amusing and frightening stone creatures. The entire tour takes about an hour and a half.
- Adult: $22
- Youth, student, senior, and military: $18
- Tickets can be purchased online or at the Welcome Desk
- VIEW AVAILABILITY
- June 17 @ 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- The tour is designed in length and complexity for ages 10 and above.
- Reservations are suggested as attendance is limited to 100 participants.
- Cameras welcome.
- Bring binoculars!