An irresistible array of festival foods, children’s rides, artisanal and boutique gifts and, of course, herbs and flowers, once again fills the nave and grounds of the Cathedral at this year’s Flower Mart. Drawing locals and tourists alike since 1939, this festival of flowers and fun celebrates All Hallows’ Guild’s centennial of service to the 59 acres of gardens and grounds around Washington National Cathedral.
This year, we are thrilled to welcome Washington, D.C. mayor Muriel Bowser as our Honorary Chair and look forward to her remarks to open Flower Mart 2017 at 10 a.m. on Friday, May 5.
- All Hallows Guild Centennial Tent: A fascinating look back at All Hallows Guild’s first 100 years and its enduring contribution to the gardens and grounds surrounding the Cathedral.
- The Spirit in Bloom: Celebrating the Outdoors at the National Cathedral featuring works of art by members of the Cathedral community and the Botanical Society of the National Capital Region. Pilgrim Gallery, 7th floor, National Cathedral.
- Our 1890’s Antique Traveling Carousel (one of the last 2 remaining in the country) Our century-old carousel, now on the National Register of Historic Places, is a favorite of young and old. Lovingly restored over a 20-year period, each hand-painted animal is a work of art with special significance. Open and running both days of Flower Mart.
- Cathedral Tower Climb is a breath-taking experience and one of our most popular events. Saturday only! Climb the 333 steps to the dizzying heights of the bell-ringing chamber in the great Central Tower of Washington National Cathedral, 300 feet above the ground, for some of the best views of Washington. Hear a demonstration of the bells and learn about the architecture of the Cathedral. Tower Climbs will be Saturday - every 45 minutes between the hours of 9:30 to 3:15. $20 per person.
- Two Daughters continue the Puppet Show: A Flower Mart children’s favorite! Always creative, whimsical, and delightful.
- International Floral Displays: Countries and Embassies present their one of a kind- floral display that tells each country’s story in a beautiful way presented in the majesty of the Cathedral nave.
- For Plant Lovers & Gardeners – this year our largest plant booth (Premier Plants – sponsored by All Hallows Guild) will stock even more annuals, perennials and locally-grown herbs. Also, new offerings include miniature conifers in containers and lovely hanging baskets.
- White Elephant Tent: It’s back and is going to be even bigger than ever in a new location on the North Lawn.
- May 5, 2017 @ 10:00 am - 6:00 pm