Coordinates the layout and production of Worship Department publications; gathers and inputs data, coordinates, formats, and edits materials, proofreads documents for accuracy and completeness, and coordinates acquisition and preparation of graphics; has key responsibilities for maintaining a consistent level of excellence in all Worship Department publications.
Among the duties assigned to the position are the following:
- Coordinates the creation, design, and layout for Worship Department publications, including leaflets for daily, Sunday and special services, including the arrangement of print, illustrations, and artwork. Utilizes a variety of liturgical and worship planning resource materials, including the Book of Common Prayer, hymnals, and other liturgical resources. Utilizes applicable computer programs to produce and track publications in the approved style and format.
- Edits and proofreads copy for publication with an exceptional degree of accuracy; edits for clarity of concept and proofreads for integrity between draft and final documents, being especially attentive to grammar, punctuation, spelling, and document-specific terminology.
- Coordinates the printing production process to ensure quality; inspects proofs for accuracy; oversees publication production schedule to ensure deadline completion of multiple projects simultaneously.
- Consults with Music Department on graphics and musical content for publications; assembles information for leaflets.
- Provides vergers with materials needed to produce missals, and associated materials for all Sunday and special services in a timely manner.
- Develops and maintains an archiving system for cataloging publications, files, and lists.
- Develops and updates style guides for a variety of documents and publications.
- Maintains inventory for the Worship Department including paper, supplies, and other support materials.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Graphic Design, or related field.
- At least three years’ experience with design layout and production.
- Experience in a church setting is helpful.
- COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Acrobat, as well as other Adobe Creative Suite print production software.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Word, using template and style guides.
- Understanding of graphic design concepts including layout, text treatments, image manipulation, etc.
- Experience and knowledge of writing, editing, graphic arts, printing, and the various methods of publishing required.
- Ability to prioritize, set and adhere to strict schedules.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and excellent command of English language grammar and vocabulary. Ability to create, edit and proofread documents, correspondence and reports.
- Accurate keyboarding skills with strong attention to detail; ability to follow through on multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to function effectively and graciously under pressure with moderate supervision.
- Working knowledge of liturgical terms and practice preferred. Knowledge of and interest in the Episcopal Church or a church of the Anglican Communion and its history and liturgy is also preferred.
- This position occasionally requires work outside of regular business hours for special services and events, including the ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
Washington National Cathedral seeks individuals who are committed to our mission. We appreciate interest from those who will contribute to an atmosphere in which diversity is valued and supported. To apply, send a cover letter and resume, and please note job code C21-16, to Washington National Cathedral, Human Resources Dept., 3101 Wisconsin Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20016-5098.