Staff Accountant – Accounts Receivable
Posted Feb 27, 2023
Washington National Cathedral is seeking a dedicated, detail-oriented person to be the full-time Staff Accountant for Accounts Receivable. This position maintains the Cathedral’s general accounting records to achieve and sustain high-quality fiscal operations in a complex, highly manual accounting environment.
This position will focus on accounts receivable for earned revenue; including contract management, invoicing, cash collection, and preparation of general ledger exports. Primary systems used are Arts Management database – Theatre Manager – and Great Plains General Ledger.
This person will participate in assessing and communicating ongoing effectiveness of internal processes, procedures and controls, and making improvements as needed.
Works Closely with: Senior Accountant, Director of Revenue, Guest Event Management Services (GEMS), Patrons, Protestant Episcopal Cathedral Foundation (PECF) Finance office
Duties and Responsibilities
Works closely with Controller, Director of Revenue, Guest Event Management Services (GEMS) and other program teams to set up and maintain earned revenue related financial operations and transactions for the institution within the Theatre Manager system.
Key Accounts Receivable contact for all earned revenue Accounts Receivable, which includes, but is not limited to, event rentals, weddings, funerals, special services, and ticketed events (e.g., outreach programs, specialty tours, tour groups, concerts, general admission, etc.)
- Maintenance of key data within the Theatre Manager database.
- Prepare and record routine monthly journal entries as needed.
- Ad hoc journal entries on a monthly basis.
- Assist with year-end closing and preparation of audit schedules.
- Assist with the weekly cash count.
- Reconcile certain Balance Sheet accounts to supporting documentation.
- Reconcile certain revenue accounts to supporting documentation.
- Keep abreast of policies and procedures, current developments in accounting professions, and changes in local and federal laws. Participate in the ongoing review of, and adherence to, institutional accounting processes, procedures and internal controls.
- Ensure accuracy, completeness and compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, local and federal laws, and nonprofit best business practices.
- Coordination with all teams within the Cathedral to collect, manage and maintain earned revenue contracts within the database, invoicing, payment collection, managing event cancellations and related refunds. Recording all transactions – contracts, accounts receivable and payments – within Theatre Manager.
- Collaborate and coordinate with personnel outside the Finance department to ensure that financial data originating in other departments is received and reported timely and accurately.
- Run and assemble regular Theatre Manager reporting package for importing to GL.
- Regular upload financial revenue and receivables information to the General Ledger from various sub-ledger systems, in particular Theater Manager and Raisers’ Edge.
- Assemble full supporting documentation for review by the Controller/Sr. Accountant, ensuring proper coding, accounting treatment and approval.
- Run reports from Theatre Manager for CFO as requested.
- Prepare month end report from Asset Essentials to upload to General Ledger.
Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting.
- More than three years of accounting experience, preferably in a complex, manual accounting environment.
- Washington National Cathedral requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including any boosters recommended and available to the general public, in the absence of eligibility for medical or religious exemptions.
- CPA preferred or equivalent experience in the accounting field
- Not-for-profit accounting experience preferred.
- Experience working with Great Plains, Theatre/ Facilities Manager preferred.
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Collaborative working style; ability to establish strong working relationships with peers, management and other departments.
- Ability to communicate accounting information, policies, and/or procedures in a manner easily understood by non-financial personnel. Excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge of, and/or willingness to learn, nonprofit specific accounting, standard accounting principles, methods and applications.
- Ability to implement policies and procedures to maintain compliance with various regulations and identify and communicate potential issues to management.
- High level of skill in and understanding of accounting systems;
- This position is eligible for a hybrid model of work, requiring at least 3 days/week in the office
- The position requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending and stooping in the performance of daily activities.
- The position also requires grasping, repetitive hand movement and fine coordination in preparing reports using a computer keyboard.
- The position also requires near and far vision for reading and preparing written reports and other required documents.
- Acute hearing is also required when providing phone assistance.
- Washington National Cathedral is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create a more diverse and inclusive atmosphere for all. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
We support an inclusive workplace where associates excel based on personal merit, qualifications, experience, ability, and job performance.
Washington National Cathedral seeks individuals who are committed to our mission. We appreciate interest from those who will contribute to an atmosphere in which diversity is valued and supported.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume, and please note job code C23-03, to [email protected].