The Seasonal Front-of-House Associate will often be the first point of contact for tour groups visiting Washington National Cathedral. They will serve as a liaison between Cathedral staff and group leaders, and provide hospitality at the main entry points, primarily during sightseeing hours. The Associate will additionally support front-of-house operations during other events and worship services as needed. This position is part-time seasonal, mid-September through mid/late December.
Among the duties assigned to the position are the following:
Welcome visiting groups and work with Front-of-House staff and Docent and Tour Manager to manage the flow of incoming groups entering the Cathedral, in accordance with daily schedules.
- Greet bus groups as they exit garage and advise on Cathedral policies and procedures, including reservation requirements, tour hours, payments, etc.
- Facilitate group entry with staff inside via radio to maintain coordinated timing for tours.
- Establish rapport with volunteer docents, group tour leaders/chaperones, and members of the Guild of Professional Tour Guides.
- Provide occasional indoor front-of-house and box office support.
Perform tasks as needed supporting front-of-house operations for programs held in lieu of sightseeing hours.
- Welcome and direct event-goers, worshipers and meeting attendees.
- Monitor doors and scan tickets as guests enter the Cathedral.
- Answer basic visitor questions and assist with wayfinding.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (education, certification, years’ experience):
- At least one year of customer service experience.
- High School diploma or GED.
- PECF requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including any boosters recommended and available to the general public, in the absence of eligibility for medical or religious exemptions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (ex: best practices, teambuilding, detail oriented, physical demands, work environment):
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including a comfort for public speaking; team-oriented disposition with a helpful, friendly attitude.
- Ability to react to change quickly and positively.
- Sensitivity to the needs of a diverse public, including the ability to interact with those in need of pastoral care.
- Basic computer skills required.
- Ability to handle cash and provide change.
- Ability to multi-task during periods of high volume.
- Ability to operate radio/walkie-talkie communications.
- Experience in events or hospitality industry is a plus.
- Proficiency in other languages is a plus.
Working Conditions (Physical Demands, Work Environment, Schedule):
While performing the duties of this job, the Front-of-House Associate is frequently required to stand, walk, and use hands to type and handle objects. The employee is occasionally required to reach, climb, balance, and stoop. Specific working condition requirements include:
- Must be able to work on feet for extended periods of time, to frequently ascend and descend stairs, and walk throughout the entry spaces.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including Saturdays and occasional evenings.
- Must be able to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Must be comfortable working in a multi-function venue, as the Cathedral is an active house of worship & cultural heritage site.
Washington National Cathedral is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create a more diverse and inclusive atmosphere for all. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
We support an inclusive workplace where associates excel based on personal merit, qualifications, experience, ability, and job performance.
Washington National Cathedral seeks individuals who are committed to our mission. We appreciate interest from those who will contribute to an atmosphere in which diversity is valued and supported.
Apply online at https://cathedral.org/careers, or send a cover letter and resume, noting job code C22-14, to [email protected].