Seasonal Cathedral Guide
Posted March 6, 2023
Washington National Cathedral seeks a part-time Cathedral Guide to support the peak tour seasons by presenting engaging 30-minute guided tours to the public. As a member of the Cathedral’s hospitality and interpretive team in the Department of Visitor Experience and Engagement, the Cathedral Guide works alongside volunteer docents to welcome groups that have made reservations for a Cathedral visit. Applicants must be able to speak in front of groups and present accurate information about the Cathedral. Training is provided.
Works Closely with: Senior Accountant, Director of Revenue, Guest Event Management Services (GEMS), Patrons, Protestant Episcopal Cathedral Foundation (PECF) Finance office
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as an interpretive guide for youth and other groups ranging from 2-60 people.
- Gives engaging and informative 30-minute guided tours of the Cathedral and answers questions about Cathedral mission, history, art, architecture, worship, and programs.
- Works as a member of the daily docent/guide team under the direction of the Docent and Tour Manager.
- Performs other visitor service-related duties as needed to ensure a welcoming/hospitable reception for visitors.
- Coordination with all teams within the Cathedral to collect, manage and maintain earned revenue contracts within the database, invoicing, payment collection, managing event cancellations and related refunds. Recording all transactions – contracts, accounts receivable and payments – within Theatre Manager.
- Collaborate and coordinate with personnel outside the Finance department to ensure that financial data originating in other departments is received and reported timely and accurately.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills;
- Degree, working toward a degree, and/or comparable experience in education, museum education, museum studies, art history, architecture, or a related field;
- Strength, dexterity, and mobility to perform all duties;
- Experience as a tour guide strongly preferred; and
- PECF requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including any boosters recommended and available to the general public, in the absence of eligibility for medical or religious exemptions.
Preferred Characteristics of a cathedral Guide
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills;
- Excellent public presentation skills and ability to engage groups and facilitate tours;
- Ability to learn and retain extensive amount of information necessary;
- Team-oriented disposition with strong customer service skills;
- Enjoyment at working with the public and a sincere and genuine interest in people of all ages, especially middle and high school students;
- Flexibility, enthusiasm, and an attitude of respect for working with diverse staff and visitors;
- Ability to react to change quickly and positively;
- Strong voice and language skills; and
- Knowledge of, or interest in, art history and architecture a plus.
- This position is eligible for a hybrid model of work, requiring at least 3 days/week in the office
- The position requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending and stooping in the performance of daily activities.
- The position also requires grasping, repetitive hand movement and fine coordination in preparing reports using a computer keyboard.
- The position also requires near and far vision for reading and preparing written reports and other required documents.
- Acute hearing is also required when providing phone assistance.
- Washington National Cathedral is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create a more diverse and inclusive atmosphere for all. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
- Approximately 10-15 hours per week, most weeks, during Cathedral bus seasons: September thru mid- November, 2022 and March-June, 2023.
- Times will vary based on tour reservation needs, with
- Due to nature of tour reservations and the current COVID-19 pandemic, the Cathedral cannot guarantee a minimum or maximum number of weekly hours.
- Occasional Saturdays required. Typically, one Saturday per month.
- Please include your schedule availability in your cover letter.
- Must be able to work on feet for extended periods of time, to access stairs, and to walk throughout the Cathedral.
- Must be comfortable working in a religious setting.
Washington National Cathedral is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create a more diverse and inclusive atmosphere for all. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
We support an inclusive workplace where associates excel based on personal merit, qualifications, experience, ability, and job performance.
Washington National Cathedral seeks individuals who are committed to our mission. We appreciate interest from those who will contribute to an atmosphere in which diversity is valued and supported.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to [email protected].