Pastor for Digital Ministry
Posted April 27, 2023
Reports to: Dean
Works closely with: Canon Vicar | Director of Digital Engagement | Canon for Worship | Cathedral Clergy | Chief Brand Officer | Development Department
Washington National Cathedral seeks a Pastor for Digital Ministry to help shepherd the Cathedral’s growing online community and to assist us in building a digital Cathedral for the 21st Century. Your portfolio will be rooted in the Cathedral’s core priorities of Welcoming, Deepening, Convening and Serving, and you will be given space to imagine how to translate our core mission to a non-geographic audience of worshippers, seekers and visitors.
As the Cathedral’s first-ever Pastor for Digital Ministry, you will have one foot in pastoral ministry alongside the Cathedral’s clergy team, meeting the spiritual needs and encouraging spiritual growth of congregants here in Washington and around the world. Your other foot will be planted in the digital universe, where you will help the Cathedral to conceive, implement and execute new digital offerings that capture the beauty and intimacy of the Cathedral itself. You will work closely with the Cathedral’s Director of Digital Engagement and be assisted by a part-time consultant/researcher, who will help you capture and adapt best practices for digital ministry. Those findings and experiences will be shared with the wider church through the ongoing work of the Cathedral College of Faith & Culture.
You will be empowered to bring an entrepreneurial and digital-first approach to meeting the spiritual needs of all congregants, both in-person and online. You will be encouraged to experiment and yes, at times, to fail in the pursuit of enhancing and expanding the Cathedral’s digital footprint. While many of your flock will live far from Washington, D.C., you will also be a regular priest serving and preaching at Cathedral worship services, and a key member of community engagement for the Cathedral’s resident congregation, working closely with the Canon Vicar and other Cathedral clergy.
The ideal candidate is not intimidated by risk-taking and demonstrates an ability to think creatively. You have a track record of navigating complex institutions, yet also have the grace and good humor to coordinate between multiple audiences and numerous stakeholders. You have an inviting pastoral presence and the ability to work with longtime members and to engage newcomers. You share the Cathedral’s desire to welcome all people as beloved children of God, and to create avenues for grace and relationship-building in our civic life. If this sounds like you, we can’t wait to meet you!
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Director of Digital Engagement to develop new tools (podcasts, videos, etc.) and to curate spaces for digital connection, using both original and repackaged content.
- As one of the Cathedral’s resident digital content experts, work as a partner with all departments to help strategize, coordinate and produce online content.
- Work with part-time consultant for research and development and in-house teams to explore best practices, effectiveness, reach and dissemination of findings in digital ministry; and stay abreast of the latest trends in digital engagement.
- Assist in launching the Cathedral’s digital ministry advisory group.
- As a full member of the Cathedral’s ministry team, provide spiritual enrichment and facilitate direct pastoral outreach to the virtual Cathedral community, and assist in leading the Cathedral’s in-person worship services and community events.
- Participate in regular preaching, presiding and sacramental rota of Cathedral clergy as a consistent and familiar face among the Cathedral clergy team.
- Provide ongoing worship support, including assisting with online chat moderating during worship services, online daily intercessions, online rite of reconciliation, weekly services, etc.
- Work with the Canon Vicar and other clergy to facilitate in-person and virtual small groups, and collaborate with Cathedral clergy to host in-person gatherings in D.C. and around the country.
- Adapt Christian formation opportunities for success in digital formats, and lead efforts to package existing and new Cathedral products for success on online platforms.
Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master of Divinity degree or equivalent.
- Proven facility in social media and digital platforms.
- Ordained clergy strongly preferred, either within the Episcopal Church or Full Communion partner denomination.
- Two to three years of experience in a ministry-related field.
- Washington National Cathedral requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including any boosters recommended and available to the general public, in the absence of eligibility for medical or religious exemptions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Excellent relational, interpersonal, organizational and verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to work effectively and collegially on a team.
- Demonstrated ability to promote institutional initiatives and strategies over personal brand.
- Demonstrated strength in both pastoral skills and digital-first strategic thinking.
- Advanced knowledge of social media, digital communications and technology.
- Proven ability in research and related entrepreneurial undertakings, with an eye for detail.
- Positive, life-giving presence on social media platforms.
- Energetic, self-motivated team player who can work independently with a commitment to excellence.
- Entrepreneurial instincts and a digital-first mindset, with the ability to adapt and work within large, complex organizations.
- Commitment to the mission of the Cathedral.
- This position requires work outside of regular business hours and Sunday worship schedule, including evenings and weekends.
- The position requires grasping, repetitive hand movement & fine coordination in preparing reports using a computer keyboard.
- This position is eligible for a hybrid model of work.
Washington National Cathedral is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create a more diverse and inclusive atmosphere for all. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or national origin.
We support an inclusive workplace where associates excel based on personal merit, qualifications, experience, ability, and job performance.
Washington National Cathedral seeks individuals who are committed to our mission. We appreciate interest from those who will contribute to an atmosphere in which diversity is valued and supported.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume, and please note job code C23-05, to [email protected].