On Call Audio Engineer
Posted April 7, 2023
Reports to: Technical Director/Audio Engineer
Works closely with: Director of Video Services, Director of Calendar and A/V Management. All Cathedral, Foundation and Close Institutions, Cathedral Choral Society, and external constituent groups.
Washington National Cathedral is looking for On Call Audio Engineers. The On Call Audio Engineer is responsible assisting with the operation and maintenance of all audio systems in the Nave of the Cathedral, Perry Auditorium, Bethlehem Chapel, Virginia Mae Center, and other locations where Audio equipment may be required including outdoor events on the Close.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Technical Director/ Audio Engineer with set-up and operation of audio-visual equipment in the Cathedral nave, auditorium, chapels, and outdoors on the Cathedral grounds.
- Set up microphones and other sound, recording, television, and visual projection equipment and operates such systems when the Technical Director/ Audio Engineer is not available or requires an operating assistant.
- Prepare for sessions by performing activities such as selecting and setting up microphones for rehearsals and concerts.
- Mix and Edit voices, music, and taped sound effects for live performances, prerecorded events and rehearsals, using sound mixing boards to ensure appropriate synchronization and equalization of all dialogue, music, and sound effects using control consoles.
- Distribute hearing-impaired assistance devices at worship services and events held in the Nave of the Cathedral.
- Inform the Cathedral Audio-Visual Engineer of any systems or equipment problems as soon as possible. Perform basic troubleshooting of audio systems and repairs when possible.
- Collaborate with Director of Video Operations and the video crew to integrate the audio from the sound console into the video recording and internet web casts.
- Assist with audio recording in Cathedral as needed.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Associate degree or equivalent certification in sound design or a related field of study is required.
- Substantial knowledge of sound engineering techniques and technology.
- 2+ years’ experience in audio/acoustics system development and/or technical direction.
- Proficient in programming and operation of Digital Audio Consoles (Yamaha CL3).
- Washington National Cathedral requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including any boosters recommended and available to the public, in the absence of eligibility for medical or religious exemptions.
Skills and aBILITIES
- Highly developed interpersonal communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a high stress, fast paced, deadline-driven team environment.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment, balance competing responsibilities, and complete assignments in a timely matter.
The Cathedral systems include the following:
- Nave Sound Control Console Vintage API 1608
- Auditorium Projection and Sound Control Room
- Bethlehem Chapel Sound System
- North Triforium Digital Control System
- South Triforium Digital Control System
- North Triforium Video Control Center (Shared responsibility with Video Director)
- S3 Technical Director/Audio Engineer Office and Digital Editing Suite
- 7th Floor Media Archives
- Resurrection Chapel Media Patch Bay and Audio/Video Distribution Center
- Great Choir PreAmp/Patchbay/Storage Room
- Northwest Cloister Amplifier and Patchbay Room
- South Balcony Press Feed
- Three Portable Sound Systems, and Various Video Projectors, Monitors and other assorted A/V equipment.
- Virginia Mae Center Audio, Video and Streaming Systems
- The position requires a flexible schedule, routinely working outside of normal business hours, including evenings, weekends and occasional holidays.
- The position requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending and stooping in the performance of daily activities.
- Acute hearing is required.
- The need to lift, drag, push and pull Audio Visual equipment and other materials weighing up to 60 pounds is also required.
Washington National Cathedral is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create a more diverse and inclusive atmosphere for all. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
We support an inclusive workplace where associates excel based on personal merit, qualifications, experience, ability, and job performance.
Washington National Cathedral seeks individuals who are committed to our mission. We appreciate interest from those who will contribute to an atmosphere in which diversity is valued and supported.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to [email protected].