Nursery Care Attendant
Posted October 11, 2023
The Nursery Care Attendant provides care to infants and toddlers during Sunday worship services (8:00 a.m. until following the 11:15 service; ~1:00 p.m. except on special Sunday/services where the hours may be modified.) The Nursery Care Attendant collaborates with other staff members to maintain a playful, organized, professional, and safe child-responsive environment in the nursery.
The Nursery Care Attendant will have previous experience in direct childcare and possess a passion, patience and love for children and will provide a reassuring environment for parents as they leave their children in the nursery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Operations of the Nursery:
- Open and set up the church nursery at 7:45 am on Sunday mornings.
- Clean up nursery and close at 1:00 pm.
- Provide supervised care and/or play for children in the nursery.
- Serve parent or guardian provided snacks, juice, bottles or baby food.
- Change diapers on the designated changing table; assist children with using the toilet.
- Wash cups, dishes, bottles, clean up spills; wash toys.
- Treat minor injuries, wipe runny noses; report signs of illness to parents.
- Keep record of children’s attendance.
- Engage the children in safe, age-appropriate creative play, songs, stories, and otherwise provide a happy, wholesome nursery experience.
Perform other duties as assigned.
- Possess experience in childcare or early childhood development; experience working with newborns to 4-year-olds, preferred.
- Must be a nurturing, caring, patient caregiver who enjoys working with young children.
- The Protestant Episcopal Cathedral Foundation (“PECF”) requires all Washington National Cathedral employees and contractors who are regularly working at the Cathedral, absent an exemption for a medical condition or a sincerely held religious belief, to either (a) have received an original course of a COVID-19 vaccine (e.g. the original Pfizer/Moderna/Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccines) and at least one COVID-19 booster vaccine; or (b) be up-to-date with the COVID-19 vaccine as defined by the CDC by having received an updated COVID-19 vaccine. Employees and covered contractors are also strongly encouraged to obtain all additional COVID booster shots for which they are eligible under then current CDC eligibility guidelines for COVID-19 boosters.
knowledge, skills, and abiliites
- Knowledge of the principles of childcare.
- Strong communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with staff, children, and parents.
- First Aid and CPR certification within last 3 months preferred (or certification may be completed during training period, before working with children).
- Must complete Safe Church, Safe Communities program for the prevention of child sexual abuse, preferably during training period before working with children, and every three years thereafter per Cathedral policy.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to interact effectively and harmoniously with many different personalities.
- Comfort working in a church setting with volunteers, parents, and staff.
- Sits, stands, stoops, walks intermittently and lifts objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
- The schedule for this position will be Sundays 7:45 AM – 12:30 PM
- Availability to work nights, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- The position requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending and stooping in the performance of daily activities.
- Flexibility in scheduling is needed for special services, holidays, and weekends.
Washington National Cathedral is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create a more diverse and inclusive atmosphere for all. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
We support an inclusive workplace where associates excel based on personal merit, qualifications, experience, ability, and job performance.
Washington National Cathedral seeks individuals who are committed to our mission. We appreciate interest from those who will contribute to an atmosphere in which diversity is valued and supported.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to [email protected].