Executive Assistant, Music Program
Posted Jan. 18, 2023
Washington National Cathedral is seeking an Executive Assistant, Music Program to join the Cathedral’s Music Department to oversee the coordination of the dynamic and diverse music program. Working closely with the three Associate Directors of Music, this position will act as the hub for communication and calendar management. Working closely with the Canon for Music, this position will manage budgeting, contracting, and financial management of the program by playing a key role in the planning and execution of the Cathedral’s robust concert series and education programs.
The ideal candidate will need strong interpersonal skills to represent the program across the institution, be comfortable making executive decisions in collaboration with the Canon for Music, and building consensus within the music department staff. Being able to function well at both macro and micro levels of details is an essential part of this position especially as it relates to calendar management. As a primary ambassador for the program, he/she needs to be able to communicate with a knowledge and love of music that broadens the mission and ministry of the program at Washington National Cathedral (WNC).
Duties and Responsibilities
Office of Canon for Music
- Work with the Canon for Music to ensure smooth day-to-day running of the program.
- Help plan and manage the trajectory of the music program’s short- and long-term goals consistent with the Cathedral’s Strategic Plan.
- Assist in annual budgeting and budget management.
- Coordinate and manage the annual calendar planning process with the music department and the Cathedral’s central calendar management in collaboration with the Guest Event Management Services (GEMS) department.
- Manage weekly department meetings, including agenda prep, calendar check-in and follow up/action items as necessary.
- Manage invoice and payment process with the Finance Department.
Concerts and College Programs
- Manage annual concert planning process with Cathedral Choral Society (CCS), GEMS and Stage Manager.
- Coordinate communication strategy and timeline with Communications Department Music Publications Manager.
- Create setup memos for events for GEMS.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Music, Arts Management, or other applicable areas
- Should be able to read music and converse on musical matters.
- Experience in budget management.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Word and Excel.
- At least three years’ experience and familiarity with records and preservation management and archival activities, including digitization of collections.
- Washington National Cathedral requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including any boosters recommended and available to the general public, in the absence of eligibility for medical or religious exemptions.
- Graduate degree in music or arts management.
- Strong communication skills (writing, oral)
- Experience in music notation software. (Sibelius, Finale, etc.)
- Working knowledge of the Christian/ Episcopal Church is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Strategic thinker
- Collaborative leader
- Detail oriented
- Problem solver
- Excellent copy writing and editing skills; ability to write and format in the tone and voice of Washington National Cathedral.
- Ability to prioritize and move between multiple projects simultaneously, maintaining ownership and handing off projects when needed.
- Ability to communicate effectively with people from a variety of backgrounds.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills are essential.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of volunteers and staff.
- Ability to work with confidential information.
The position requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, and stooping in the performance of daily activities.
- The position also requires grasping, repetitive hand movement, and fine coordination in preparing reports using a computer keyboard.
- The position also requires near and far vision for reading and preparing written reports and other required documents.
- Acute hearing is also required when providing phone assistance.
- The need to lift, drag, push, and pull files, reports and other materials weighing up to 25 pounds is also required.
- This position requires work during regular business hours. At times, some work on weekends and outside of regular business hours will be required. Flexibility in scheduling is necessary.
Washington National Cathedral is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create a more diverse and inclusive atmosphere for all. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
We support an inclusive workplace where associates excel based on personal merit, qualifications, experience, ability, and job performance.
Washington National Cathedral seeks individuals who are committed to our mission. We appreciate interest from those who will contribute to an atmosphere in which diversity is valued and supported.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to [email protected], and please note job code C23-01.