Washington National Cathedral seeks a full-time Director of Sales to spearhead the sale and marketing of the Cathedral’s revenue-generating activities in a way that advances the mission of the Washington National Cathedral. This exciting new position will be responsible for growing the current revenue streams for the Cathedral, strategizing a key performance indicator (KPI) structure and growth plan, and innovating new revenue streams.
Washington National Cathedral is a house of prayer for all people, conceived by our founders to serve as a great church for national purposes. The Cathedral holds a unique place at the intersection of sacred and civic life. Our vision is to strive to serve God and our neighbors as agents of reconciliation, a trusted voice of moral leadership and a sacred space where the country gathers during moments of national significance.
The Cathedral is one of the top 10 tourist destinations in Washington D.C. and a premiere Washington D.C. event destination. With its exceptional architectural settings, historical significance, expansive grounds and panoramic views, the Cathedral is a highly regarded and desired venue for special events and experiences of all sizes and types. Additionally, the Cathedral will be opening a new residential center, which ultimately is anticipated to offer further opportunities for revenue growth.
The ideal candidate would have a growth mindset and entrepreneurial spirit. You are a good fit if you have a unique ability to connect the brand you are selling to a mission. You strive to build connection and engagement. You thrive on strengthening current revenue by delivering on sales growth. You get excited about selling the best experience, and you inspire collaboration and innovation.
The Director of Sales will initially be focused on maximizing current revenue streams within the context of the Cathedral’s other mission-related, building-focused activities. This role will also lead the development and implementation of short-term and long-term strategies in sales and marketing channels to achieve goals and increase market share performance.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Current Revenue Generation and Sales Growth:
- Visitor Experiences
- Develop and implement strategies to meet revenue targets for visitor experiences (group tours, admissions, bus garage sales).
- Work closely with other departments to innovate new potential strategies to increase visitor engagement and enhance the visitor experience.
- Rentals and Events
- Develop and implement strategies for event rentals, weddings, and other special events (concerts, public exhibits, specialty experiences, dinners, etc,).
- Retail, Catering and Food Operations
- Identify a short-term means to manage and re-open the Cathedral’s on-site gift shop in fall 2022.
- Oversee evaluation of permanent retail opportunities and, with COO,CFO and other appropriate colleagues, determine approach for retail operations and manage implementation.
- Oversee the Cathedral’s current vendor for catering and food operations, supporting the continued re-opening.
- Explore new opportunities for revenue growth in retail, catering and food operations.
New Revenue Generation and Strategic Development:
- Explore new pathways for revenue growth in areas including retail operations, catering and food operations, visitor experiences, special events and more.
- Lead an assessment of the Cathedral’s current revenue streams, exploring opportunities for growth and opportunities.
- Based on assessment, develop and deliver strategies to meet targets for the Cathedral.
- Develop and implement annual business plans and manage monthly, quarterly and annual expenses and revenue budgets.
- Monitor the market and competitor products and activities while providing detailed sales forecasting.
- Establish clear sales metrics and benchmarks for measuring progress and maintaining focus.
- Collaborate with strategic partners and clients to research market needs and identify possible new revenue streams.
- Establish and maintain a strong network of relationships with current and potential vendors, customers and sponsors.
Perform other duties as assigned.
This position should appeal to candidates interested in professional growth and more responsibility over time. Significant professional growth opportunities exist for individuals who are able to meet or exceed revenue goals, while exercising innovative, collaborative leadership in a manner consistent with the Cathedral’s culture and mission.
Minimum Qualifications (education, certification, years experience):
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Sales or other related fields. Graduate degree preferred.
- Minimum of 8+ years of proven successful sales or sales-oriented marketing experience, with substantive experience in one or more of the following areas: hospitality, events, tourism, nonprofit retail, concerts and/or public programs.
- Proven experience with strategic planning to meet sales goals, marketing plan development.
- Proven experience developing, delivering and hitting KPIs.
- Self-motivated and emotionally intelligent with the ability to adapt in an evolving environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, especially Word and Excel.
- Washington National Cathedral requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including any boosters recommended and available to the general public, in the absence of eligibility for medical or religious exemptions.
Abilities, Knowledge, and Skills:
- Excellent organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills are essential with a high-level of ability to deal with ambiguity.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of
- The ideal candidate would possess an entrepreneurial, sales-driven mindset. Passionate about the mission of the Cathedral, this candidate should inhibit a collaborative, politically savvy spirit.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Documented expertise in areas of sales growth and revenue generation that include strategy development, sponsor targeting, research, CRM management, campaign measurement and optimization, digital and social media, analytics, public relations, promotions, and advertising.
- Background and proven success in sales-oriented
- Proven experience in a fast-paced multiple venue sales environment.
- Proven experience with developing and implementing strategic marketing plans and event marketing.
- Knowledgeable about social media marketing techniques and social media campaigns.
- Working knowledge of and alignment with the vision and mission of Washington National Cathedral.
- Experience driving revenue in a nonprofit or other mission-driven organizations.
- Experience in innovating multiple revenue streams for nonprofit organizations.
- This position requires work during regular business hours. At times, some work on weekends and outside of regular business hours may be required.
- This position is eligible for relocation assistance upon successful completion of the interview and background check process.
- This position is eligible for a hybrid model of work, requiring at least 3 days/week in the office.This position will require on-site work at times for event management, vendor relationships and client meetings.
Washington National Cathedral is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create a more diverse and inclusive atmosphere for all. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
We support an inclusive workplace where associates excel based on personal merit, qualifications, experience, ability, and job performance.
Washington National Cathedral seeks individuals who are committed to our mission. We appreciate interest from those who will contribute to an atmosphere in which diversity is valued and supported.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume, and please note job code C22-12, to [email protected].