Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Works closely with: Development Team, Communications Team, Programmatic Teams, Consultants / Vendors, Donors
Direct Reports: Mid-level Giving Manager
Washington National Cathedral is looking for a Director of Annual Giving to be an integral member of our dynamic Development team of mission-driven, energetic fundraising professionals. This position is responsible for strategizing, managing and executing a year-round fundraising plan for the annual fund, inclusive of broad-based and mid-level fundraising strategies. This key position is responsible for cultivating strategies designed to identify, acquire, cultivate and solicit annual gifts/memberships at donation levels up to $10,000.
The year-round fundraising plan will include goals, strategies and programming that aim to build, engage and retain our donor base in support of Washington National Cathedral’s annual operating budget, as well as non-operating campaign initiatives such as preservation of the building. The Director will report to the Chief Development Officer and partner with key internal stakeholders to ensure integration with broader marketing, communication and development strategy and tactics. This role supervises the Mid-Level Giving Manager, as well as manages relationships with third-party fundraising partners and vendors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, implement and evaluate integrated, annual broad-base giving program – including direct mail, digital and phone efforts – designed to identify, acquire, cultivate and solicit annual gifts/memberships at donation levels up to $10,000. Develop, execute and evaluate enhancements to membership, monthly giving, matching gifts and honor/memorial/thanksgiving programs.
- Supervise and mentor the Mid-Level Giving Manager, playing a key role in strategy for the Cathedral’s mid-level donor program.
- In partnership with Mid-Level Giving Manager, collaborate with Major Gift Officers to maximize upgrades within the mid-level program and identification of major gifts prospects. Manage any mailed appeals in support of major gifts efforts.
- Maintain, track and facilitate project schedules, working with staff, outside consultants and vendors to coordinate workflow and meet deadlines.
- Respond to and enable Development Coordinator, other team members and departments to handle donor inquiries and concerns; elevate to other staff, as appropriate.
- Monitor, analyze and report regularly on fundraising performance for mid-level and broad-base giving. Create and manage program budget; monitor revenue and expenses and provide projections. Prepares special reports for senior leadership as requested.
- Work closely with Development Operations team, including Senior Director of Development Operations, database manager and gift processing staff, on strategic use of Raiser’s Edge as it impacts annual giving/membership program, including entry of gifts, maintenance and integrity of data, reporting and list generation.
- Coordinate design and production of all in-house materials related to all fundraising mailings and promotional materials, including writing copy and approving designs, working in-house or with print and design. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Work closely with Chief Development Officer, Gift Planning Director and consultants (as appropriate) in developing integrated annual and long-range strategies for individual support by broad-base donors, including engagement in the comprehensive campaign.
- Evaluate and revise planning strategies to achieve goal requirements and work within budgetary constraints.
- Partner with Director of Donor Engagement on strategy and execution of stewardship and recognition programs. Collaborate on creation and maintenance of integrated Cathedral calendar.
- Collaborate with Communications, Worship and Guest & Event Management Services departments on broader strategy for engagement and conversion of new constituents, visitors and worshippers.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required.
- At least five years direct development experience, including project management and direct response fundraising.
- Advanced computer skills with MS Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook) and Raiser’s Edge or other fundraising software.
- Washington National Cathedral requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including any boosters recommended and available to the general public, in the absence of eligibility for medical or religious exemptions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines. Ability to maintain composure under pressure.
- Ability to work effectively as a team leader.
- Strong diplomacy skills (able to successfully manage external and internal relationships and effectively liaise with colleagues at all levels) and a customer service-oriented attitude.
- Ability to handle confidential information, including biographical data and gift records.
- Self-motivated, adaptable, proactive and able to inspire and motivate others.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously and competing deadlines.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Outstanding project management and organization skills including budget management.
- Knowledge of fundraising principles and practices; experience in strategic planning and execution of integrated direct response program.
- Demonstrated experience and preference for working in a highly collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, including strong written and editorial skills.
- Excellent analytical skills. Ability to interpret, analyze, synthesize, report and make programmatic recommendations based on data driven approach.
- Commitment to and enthusiasm about the mission and vision of Washington National Cathedral.
- Schedule is Monday through Friday during normal business hours, However, flexibility in daily schedules will be needed when the Cathedral hosts major funerals, State events and other special events. Development staff is required to assist with these events and may need to adjust priorities with little notice.
- This position requires work on site and the individual must be available to work on site as scheduled or requested.
- The need to lift, drag, push and pull files, reports and other materials weighing up to 25 pounds is also required.
- The position requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending and stooping in the performance of daily activities.
- The position also requires grasping, repetitive hand movement and fine coordination in preparing reports using a computer keyboard.
- The position also requires near and far vision for reading and preparing written reports and other required documents.
Washington National Cathedral is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create a more diverse and inclusive atmosphere for all. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
We support an inclusive workplace where associates excel based on personal merit, qualifications, experience, ability and job performance.
Washington National Cathedral seeks individuals who are committed to our mission. We appreciate interest from those who will contribute to an atmosphere in which diversity is valued and supported.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume, and please note job code C22-13, to [email protected].