Reports to: Director of Event Logistics
Supervises: Sexton Team Leaders, Sextons/Launderers
Works closely with: Guest and Event Management Services (GEMS) department, Event Logistics Coordinator, Event-producing departments: Worship, Programs, Music Departments, Close partners such as Cathedral school chaplains.
Washington National Cathedral is seeking a full time Director of Housekeeping to act as the primary leader to oversee the Cathedral’s laundry, housekeeping and event set-up operations. This dynamic and engaged position provides personnel and technical leadership to the housekeeping department.
This person will ensure the timely and accurate delivery of services and supervise the Sextons/ Housekeeping staff. This position will also develop and administer the budget. Working with the Event Logistics Coordinator, this position will support necessary setup needs of the Cathedral’s wide variety of events. Exemplifying a “lead by example” mentality, this person isn’t afraid to get their hands in the work and will be expected to assist the Sextons in their daily duties. The ideal candidate will be highly motivated and experienced in developing and motivating a tenured team. This position requires various strenuous and specialized working conditions – see below for working conditions.
Washington National Cathedral está buscando un Director of Housekeeping de tiempo completo para que actúe como el líder principal para supervisar las operaciones de lavandería, limpieza y organización de eventos de la Catedral. Este puesto dinámico y comprometido brinda liderazgo técnico y de personal al departamento de limpieza.
Esta persona garantizará la entrega oportuna y precisa de los servicios y supervisará al personal de Sextons y Housekeeping. Esta posición también desarrollará y administrará el presupuesto. Al trabajar con el Coordinador de Logística de Eventos, este puesto apoyará las necesidades de configuración necesarias de la amplia variedad de eventos de la Catedral. Ejemplificando una mentalidad de “predicar con el ejemplo”, esta persona no tiene miedo de poner sus manos en el trabajo y se espera que ayude a los Sacristán en sus deberes diarios. El candidato ideal estará altamente motivado y tendrá experiencia en el desarrollo y motivación de un equipo permanente. Este puesto requiere varias condiciones de trabajo extenuantes y especializadas; consulte las condiciones de trabajo a continuación.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain facilities to ensure the highest level of cleanliness.
- Receive required event set-ups and other housekeeping needs from Event Logistics Coordinator
- Communicate information and assign work to Sextons.
- Develop a monthly work schedule for sextons with adaptability to events as needed. Ensure availability of appropriate personnel and equipment needed.
- Respond to faculty and staff service requests and arrange for completing requests, including, but not limited event set-ups/take downs, movement of supplies, paper, and other materials, etc.
- Supervise vendor load-in/load-out for events when necessary.
- Perform the duties of Sextons as needed, leading by example.
- Develop and establish metrics, policies, and procedures to ensure safe, service-driven, and efficient operations. Establish and implement short- and long-range department goals and objectives
- Develop, monitor and evaluate program effectiveness to meet service standards.
- Implement changes required for improvement.
- Supervise Sextons, including training and counseling; performance evaluations; and making recommendations for personnel actions.
- Develop, train, and motivate Sextons to build engagement and standards of excellence.
- Develop and implement systems to maintain equipment inventories and ordering of supplies, compliance activities, and budget documentation.
- Supervise the compliance of sanitation, safety and housekeeping regulations and assure quality control through the utilization of an inspection system and maintenance metrics.
- Partner with the Director of Event Logistics and Finance department consistently and routinely to ensure proper billing for sexton’s work for certain events is accounted for and billed to the correct payee.
- Input work orders for necessary repairs and maintenance.
- Inspect equipment and coordinate required repairs.
Minimum Qualifications (education, certification, years experience):
- High school diploma.
- Ability to read and speak Spanish required.
- Certification and/or three+ years training in hospitality, hotel and restaurant management, and/or environmental services.
- Minimum of five to ten years progressively responsible experience managing laundry and housekeeping processes and personnel in a complex service driven environment OR related experience in retail, management, and hospitality industries.
- Minimum of three years experience managing a diverse workforce.
- Washington National Cathedral requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including any boosters recommended and available to the general public, in the absence of eligibility for medical or religious exemptions.
Abilities, Knowledge, and Skills:
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced and multi tasking environment.
- Ability to supervise and train staff; organize and prioritize scheduling work assignments; and motivate and develop staff.
- Organization and strong adherence to cleanliness standards.
- Ability to develop and maintain record keeping systems and procedures.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies and a diverse workforce.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; experience communicating with, training and managing multilingual
Knowledge and Skills:
- Solid understanding of housekeeping and laundry supplies and related equipment
- Experience purchasing linens and housekeeping supplies
- Experience and knowledge of maintaining antiques, stone, fabrics, and/or metals.
- Knowledge of customer service standards and procedures, and best business practices.
- Experience with team and morale building.
- Advanced computer skills with Microsoft Office Suite; knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, email, calendar, document distributions, and network software.
- Knowledge of safety and sanitation standards.
- Excellent time management skills with success in short and long term planning.
- Proven ability to write and understand Spanish preferred.
- College degree in Environmental Services or related field preferred, or a combination of education and progressively responsible experience preferred
- Strong budgetary, projection, and cost control skills preferred.
- Experience managing time and attendance records preferred.
- The position requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, and stooping in the performance of daily activities.
- The position requires a flexible schedule, routinely working outside of normal business hours, including evenings, weekends and occasional holidays. This is an essential personnel position which will require flexibility as events, weather, and emergency conditions dictate.
- Ability to lift up to sixty pounds; walking and standing for extended periods. The need to lift, drag, push and pull files, reports and other materials weighing up to 25 pounds is also required.
- The position requires prolonged sitting, walking and standing, especially during events; may require reaching, twisting and turning, kneeling, bending and stooping in the performance of daily activities.
- Work involves moderate exposure to unusual elements such as temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors and/or noise.
- Work involves exposure to chemicals, hazards and/or physical risks that require following safety precautions.
- The position requires grasping, repetitive hand movement and fine coordination in preparing reports using a computer keyboard.
- The position requires near and far vision for reading and preparing written reports and other required documents.
- Acute hearing is required when providing phone assistance.
Washington National Cathedral is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create a more diverse and inclusive atmosphere for all. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
We support an inclusive workplace where associates excel based on personal merit, qualifications, experience, ability, and job performance.
Washington National Cathedral seeks individuals who are committed to our mission. We appreciate interest from those who will contribute to an atmosphere in which diversity is valued and supported.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume, and please note job code C22-10, to [email protected].