Washington National Cathedral is currently seeking a Communications Projects Manager. This position plays a critical role in the department’s responsibilities of communicating the mission, brand and programs of Washington National Cathedral to multiple audiences. The Communications Projects Manager will oversee the department’s project management, will execute projects within budget and scope, honor deadlines, assign responsibilities and monitor and summarize progress of projects. This candidate will need to possess excellent organizational and communication skills with a passion for building and establishing relationships with both internal and external partners. Clear vision and understanding of the Cathedral’s communications goals, as well as effective management of the life cycle of projects, are essential to the role.
The Communications Projects Manager is a key leader in the planning, implementation and evaluation of the Cathedral’s advertising and marketing initiatives; project-manages all products and services provided by the department; and provides general support for the department’s work. The Communications Projects Manager contributes to the development of implementation plans for major departmental and cross-departmental initiatives and is responsible for implementing strategies, plans and calendars in close collaboration with the Director of Digital Engagement and the Chief Communications Officer. The position presents opportunities for creative thinking on project management strategies uniquely tailored to the needs of the Department and of the Cathedral.
The ideal candidate for this position is a team player who is skilled at juggling multiple projects at once. Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills are essential, as well as the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with grace and good humor. This position needs a self-starter who can work independently but who also enjoys creative brainstorming and developing campaigns within a supportive team environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Project-manage the Cathedral’s communications and marketing strategies and campaigns.
- Design processes for project implementation, establish timelines, monitor progress, and work with project team on evaluating project performance and stakeholder satisfaction.
- Monitor timely and efficient payment/billing of all advertising and marketing initiatives, and assist in planning the department’s marketing budget.
- Ensure adherence to calendars and processes as outlined on project management platforms.
- Ensure all revisions are documented accurately.
- Problem-solve issues that may arise in the implementation of projects, anticipating potential roadblocks and proactively seeking solutions in collaboration with the team.
- Delegate tasks and manage communication for cross-departmental projects.
- Serve as the main point of contact and gatekeeper for requests from other Cathedral departments, convene quarterly planning meetings and organize project kick-off meetings.
- Responsible for team meeting minutes and their timely post-meeting distribution, with clear summaries of action items.
- Maintain open communication with team members and promote adaptability and motivation.
- Responsible for meeting with vendor project managers and account representatives, ensuring that deadlines are met.
- Responsible for departmental administration, including supplies, mailings and work orders.
- Provide other administrative support as needed.
Other departmental support
- Manage subscriber list maintenance.
- Assist with media and other communications needs, as necessary, at events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The position includes opportunities for growth in project management and administration as well as marketing, design, photography, social media, media relations and copywriting.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5+ years experience in project management in communications, marketing or web work.
- Washington National Cathedral requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including any boosters recommended and available to the general public, in the absence of eligibility for medical or religious exemptions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint). Experience using AirTable or comparable project management software. Graphics software application knowledge a plus: Adobe Packages (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat).
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage simultaneous projects with limited oversight and direction.
- Detail oriented, self-starter, ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated skills in writing, editing and proofreading.
- Basic photo-editing and layout skills desired but not required.
- This position requires occasional work outside of regular business hours, including evenings and weekends.
- The position requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending and stooping in the performance of daily activities.
- The position also requires grasping, repetitive hand movement and fine coordination in preparing reports using a computer keyboard.
- The position also requires near and far vision for reading and preparing written reports and other required documents.
- Acute hearing is also required when providing phone assistance.
- The need to lift, drag, push and pull files, reports and other materials weighing up to 25 pounds is also required.
Washington National Cathedral is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create a more diverse and inclusive atmosphere for all. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
We support an inclusive workplace where associates excel based on personal merit, qualifications, experience, ability and job performance.
Washington National Cathedral seeks individuals who are committed to our mission. We appreciate interest from those who will contribute to an atmosphere in which diversity is valued and supported.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume, and please note job code C22-21, to [email protected].