Responsible for outreach to and engagement of key Cathedral constituency groups leading up to and during the public phase of Washington National Cathedral’s five-year comprehensive fundraising campaign, especially Cathedral Congregation members and Cathedral volunteers. Serves as primary liaison to key volunteer group leaders and coordinates closely across the Development and Cathedral teams to engage these groups in giving during the public phase of the campaign. This position partners with the Canon Vicar and leads the Cathedral Stewardship Committee on planning and coordinating the Congregation’s annual stewardship campaign, as well as the Congregation’s engagement in the comprehensive campaign. This is a two-year position.
Among the duties assigned to the position are the following:
- Create and manage plans to engage, solicit and steward members of key Cathedral constituency groups – including resident congregation members and Cathedral volunteers – as part of the five-year comprehensive fundraising campaign
- Build excitement and interest among members of Cathedral constituency groups leading up to the fall 2022 public launch weekend and beyond
- Serve as staff lead to volunteer groups, working collaboratively across development and broader Cathedral team to ensure coordination and alignment with campaign goals
- Ensure members of constituency groups are invited to participate in the fall launch weekend, in person or virtually, and support it philanthropically
- Support the production of the campaign launch weekend, with a focus on the components targeted to key constituency groups
- Collaborate with colleagues to ensure proper crediting of gifts and stewardship, monitor progress against goals and prepare reports
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Manage the Congregation’s annual stewardship campaign in partnership with the Canon Vicar, serving as staff lead for the volunteer Congregation Stewardship Committee
- Manage the special Congregation comprehensive campaign, keeping clear messaging between an annual gift/pledge and a special gift to the five-year campaign
- Recruit, train and support volunteers of the Congregation Stewardship Committee
- Attend Sunday worship services and evening programs, especially as they relate to donor-related opportunities
- Attend evening meetings in support of the Congregation Stewardship Committee and the Cathedral Congregation Committee (CCC)
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university
- Three or more years demonstrated experience in fundraising, volunteer management and/or transferable roles.
- Washington National Cathedral requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including any boosters recommended and available to the general public, in the absence of eligibility for medical or religious exemptions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills and demonstrated ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment among diverse internal and external constituencies
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently, establishing priorities and meeting deadlines
- Embraces working collaboratively as part of a team environment
- Demonstrated experience working effectively with volunteers
- Excellent communication, both oral and written, with internal and external constituents, and professional presentation skills
- Knowledge of fundraising principles, practices, and daily operations of a development office
- Knowledge of church life and experience with church management or stewardship is a plus
- Advanced working knowledge of MS Office, especially PowerPoint and Excel; experience with Raiser’s Edge or other donor database
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for Washington National Cathedral, its vision and mission
- Flexibility and resiliency, along with a sense of humor and creativity
Working Conditions (Schedule, Physical Demands, Work Environment):
- This position requires work on site and cannot be performed entirely remotely. Must be available to work on site as scheduled or requested
- This position requires work outside of regular business hours, including Sundays on a regular basis and occasional evenings
- This is a 2-year position
Washington National Cathedral is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create a more diverse and inclusive atmosphere for all. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
We support an inclusive workplace where associates excel based on personal merit, qualifications, experience, ability, and job performance.
Washington National Cathedral seeks individuals who are committed to our mission. We appreciate interest from those who will contribute to an atmosphere in which diversity is valued and supported.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume, noting job code C22-08, to [email protected].